1% for the Planet and Ceres’ 25th Anniversary Conference
“I don’t do philanthropy, I do strategic investment.”
With that statement, Hannah Jones, VP of Sustainable Business and Innovation at Nike, called out a radical transformation evident throughout Ceres’ 25th Anniversary Conference: the way that the world’s most successful companies think about philanthropy and their relationship to the environment has undergone a dramatic shift over the past decade. No longer do they give to environmental causes just because they see it as the right thing to do; rather, effective philanthropy has become an integral part of their strategic approach to business.
1% has been supporting our member companies in making strategic investments for the past decade, so we were thrilled to join the conversation at this year’s Ceres event. Entitled “The Future is Now,” the conference brought together 650+ leaders in the sustainability space for two days of intense collaboration, education, and networking on the Boston waterfront—a place itself grappling with the challenges of climate change.
Just how far Ceres has helped the business community progress over the past two and a half decades was evident throughout the seminars, plenary sessions, and conversations we joined. Ceres has changed the way businesses work by:
- Establishing the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) as the benchmark for corporate sustainability disclosure worldwide
- Successfully petitioning the SEC to issue interpretive guidance on climate risk disclosure
- Launching the Climate Declaration, effectively mobilizing the business voice in support of bold climate action (more than 700 companies have now signed)!
And most importantly, Ceres is providing a clear roadmap for how companies can improve their environmental performance. Regardless of size, industry, or history, Ceres meets companies where they are and helps them to do businesses better.
As a member of the 1% for the Planet community there are many ways you can engage with the Ceres community as part of your commitment:
- Tell your representatives that climate action matters to you. Sign the Climate Declaration as a company or individual and join 1% for the Planet companies Horny Toad, New Belgium Brewing, Patagonia, and more!
- Support Ceres’ continued work on behalf of the planet. All gifts made before June 15th will be TRIPLED by a generous donor. Donations to Ceres represent a strategic investment benefitting BOTH the environment and your business objectives, AND your donations count as part of your company’s 1% for the Planet commitment.
- And please join us 1% for the Planet and Ceres at next year’s conference in California (May 13th-14th, 2014 at the Fairmont San Francisco). From direct access to the people who are making global change for our Planet to some of the most educational seminars we’ve had the opportunity to attend, the conference offers something for everyone in the 1%.
Make a strategic approach to climate change a core part of your business with Ceres.