Security Guard – Occupational First Aid Specialist
Requisition Number: 13-0114
Title: 113 – Security Guard – Occupational First Aid Specialist
Job Family: Building Operations
Status: Full-Time Regular
Work Hours: 37.5 Hours / Week
Location: Stanley Park – Vancouver
Close Date: 11/12/2013
In addition to conducting the duties of an Aquarium Senior Security Guard, the Occupational First Aid (OFA) Specialist oversees the first aid program to ensure a proactive and quick response when necessary, and meets or exceeds all compliance requirements of WorkSafe BC. The OFA specialist also serves as an expert resource to the Health & Safety Committee, providing both information and guidance as required to ensure the highest quality care for all employees, volunteer and visitors in the event of an emergency.
Acts as a leader in the Security Department by:
- Performing all the regular duties of a security guard (Please see attached job description);
- Providing guidance and supervision to Security Guards in the absence of the Security Manager;
- Providing on the spot coaching of security team members; major issues or issues involving staff from different departments will be brought to the attention of the Security Manager and/or duty manager when visitor experience is impacted;
- Effectively evaluating first aid program efficiencies in consultation with the health and safety committee members and implement procedures to improve, quality of care, response time and reporting of incidence;
- Ensuring that all Security Officers adhere to organizational and departmental policies and procedures as it relates to first aid protocols;
- Acting as a role model and daily shift leader, ensuring that the security team is performing to expectations;
- Assisting Security Officers in developing strong first aid skills.
Leads and manages a proactive, quick response First Aid Program at the Vancouver Aquarium by:
- Working with a Health & Safety Committee representative in the development of first aid prevention policies and practices and ensures all employees are informed on departmental policies and procedures related to first aid and safety;
- Maintaining, auditing and stocking all first aid equipment; establishing minimum stocking levels for essential items and ensuring that they are maintained;
- Responding to first aid calls with other first aid team members; using good judgment in choosing when to act as primary attendant and when to refer to emergency services (e.g. 911 attendants);
- Properly completing and filing first aid incident reports as well as coaching others to do the same;
- Assisting the health and safety representative in ensuring Aquarium compliance with Worksafe BC regulations related to first aid.
Contributes OFA expertise to the Health and Safety committee by:
- Attending monthly Health & Safety Committee meetings and contributing to relevant discussions;
- Working with a Health & Safety Committee representative to ensure timely and accurate reporting of first aid statistics to the Health & Safety committee;
- Advising the Health & Safety committee on matters related to first aid and safety;
- Preparing proactive and/or responsive safety plans as required and/or directed by chair of Health & Safety committee.
- Continually improves our impact on the environment and greening of operations through support of EMS protocols;
- Maintains and supports organizational safety standards;
- Other Duties as Required.
SECURITY GUARD KEY ACCOUNTABILTIES
While contributing to a great visitor experience, this position is responsible for Aquarium security including public safety (crowd control, parking lot security, & crime prevention management), primary first aid and building and grounds security.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH A VALID SECURITY LICENSE AND OCCUPATIONAL FIRST AID LEVEL 2 NEED APPLY.
Ensure the safety of both the public and Aquarium by:
- Assisting with crowd control during shows and in the various galleries;
- Conducting safety and loss prevention patrols of the parking lot;
- Making regular security rounds to ensure that the building and grounds are secure;
- Monitoring security surveillance cameras per Aquarium policy;
- Conducting crime prevention management.
Assists with the First Aid Program at the Vancouver Aquarium by:
- Assisting to ensure Aquarium compliance with WorkSafe BC regulation related to first aid and safety;
- Responding to first aid calls and providing first aid for staff, volunteers and guests;
- Using good judgment in choosing when to act as primary attendance and when to refer to emergency services.
Enhance the overall experience of visitors of the Aquarium by:
- Being open and friendly to visitors and answering basic questions as required and/or refer them to someone who can assist;
- Assisting other departments with ensuring the facility remains clean and presentable.
- Performs additional duties as required;
- Continually improves our impact on the environment and greening of operations.
Education and Experience
- Minimum secondary school diploma or equivalent;
- Minimum Occupational First Aid Level 2 (OFA 2); preference given to those applicants with higher level of training including but not limited to OFA 3, First Responder, Paramedic;
- BC Security license required;
- BC class 5 driver’s license an asset;
- Minimum three years experience as a practicing First Aid Attendant;
- Certificate or courses in Occupational Health & Safety or Construction Safety are considered an asset;
- Preference will be given to individuals with experience in a leadership role;
- Occupational First Aid Instructor Certification is an asset.
- Good leadership and interpersonal skills; ability to work with peers with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience levels;
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment, modeling best practices and sound decisions for peers and co-workers;
- Excellent communication and customer service skills to put visitor and/or employees at comfort when dealing with first aid incidents;
- Excellent first aid skills and ability to immediately assume a leadership role in emergency situations;
- Ability to effectively utilize human resources and delegate responsibility quickly in emergency situations;
- Collaborative and solution oriented;
- Demonstrated ability to write first aid policies;
- Good report-writing and record-keeping skills;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Active demonstration of the company’s values and mission.
SECURITY GUARD QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
- Minimum secondary school diploma or equivalent;
- One year experience in a security role such as police officer or security guard;
- Minimum Occupational First Aid (OFA) II;
- Must be certified to operate an AED machine;
- BC Security Worker license (have completed BST).
- Ability to interact positively and proactively with the general public presenting a professional image;
- Must have skills to communicate well both verbally and in written format;
- Must have basic working knowledge of Microsoft office programs and email;
- Ability to remain calm and respond effectively in hostile situations with the general public;
- Ability to spot potentially problematic situations and address before they escalate.
- Job requires the ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time;
- Required to carry a radio and be accessible for calls;
- Exposure to sun and weather;
- Ability to work effectively within large crowds;
- Flexibility and availability in schedule are required during the week, including evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates can submit their resume with cover letter on the Vancouver Aquarium Careers Homepage: https://rt11.ultipro.ca/VAN5001/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx
Click here to read the full post