Big Things for a Seasoned Nature Center
The Sunriver Nature Center & Observatory (SNCO) has officially started a large fundraising campaign to update our museum and raptor rehabilitation facilities.
From its inception in 1968, SNCO has served as a community resource for environmental and wildlife stewardship, offering over 400 environmental education programs and 200 hours of community outreach annually. Our certified wildlife rehabilitation center provides immediate and continuous medical care for up to 100 injured birds every year, many of which are released back into the wild.
SNCO facility improvements are centered around two things: 1) environmental education achieved through interactive and engaging exhibits and outdoor learning experiences, 2) recognizing the need for a proper work space to perform wildlife rehabilitation and promote wildlife protection and conservation.
Our goal is to raise $500,000 to support:
- the construction of 10 indoor/outdoor enclosures to house our permanently disabled and un-releasable raptors. These new enclosures will replace six outdated, small and un-enriching spaces.
- a functional rehabilitation center that incorporates a larger hospital space, eight private indoor/outdoor rehabilitation enclosures and a 50 foot-long flight cage.
- new and engaging nature themed exhibits
- the renovation of our existing botanical garden
- improvement of Nature Center grounds through the addition of an outdoor play and meeting space, outdoor classroom and lakeside wildlife observation pier.